With the start of 2013 a group of Modesto community organizers (including a few RHHReporters) came together under the name Valley Improvement Projects, or V.I.P., with the mission of improving the quality of life of underrepresented and marginalized residents of California’s Central Valley by promoting social and environmental issues through youth outreach, education, technology, and art.
Recently V.I.P. opened their Community Center for Social & Environmental Justice in downtown Modesto to give people a place to meet, learn, and take united actions against the power structures that keep most of the wealth, resources, and opportunities in the hands of only a few at the top.
Resources at V.I.P. include:
– Educational workshops and tutoring
– Computer and internet/Wi-Fi access
– Library and lounge area
– Bike repair and maintenance workshop
– Screen printing t-shirts and poster
– Mental health/harm reduction for alcohol and substance use meetings